The Art Academy offers two day weekend courses which range from introductory courses for the Beginner to Masterclasses for the more experienced. Numbers in the class are kept to a maximum of 15 (lower for some classes) so that the tutor has plenty of time to go around and speak to each student individually throughout each day, as well as teaching the group as a whole.
We offer a range of classes for all abilities and our superb central London location means we are easily accessible from in and out of London. We have a great choice of courses all of which are taught by our expert tutors who are specialist’s in their respected fields.
Our Weekend Masterclasses are a special feature of the Art Academy. Drawing on our extensive professional network we are able to persuade expert, sought-after practitioners to teach classes – people who are experts in their field and who rarely teach. Masterclasses are designed for people who have some experience, and want to take their work further. Teaching groups are deliberately small, with intense tuition, and personalised guidance.
Material packs can be purchased with some of our courses. Please check the details of the individual class. You can also buy an Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting or Drawing Pack individually on our Materials Page.
Please note, our courses are only suitable and available for students 18 years old and above. If you are 17 and keen to apply to a particular adult course, please ring the office and in some instances we may be able to accommodate you. We also have variety of courses specifically designed for under 18’s as part of our Young Artists programme.
- Aluminium Etching£160.00Course CodeWC1702PR10TutorSue CorkeDatesSaturday & Sunday, 20th & 21st January 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£160Aluminium etching offers a magical, refreshingly direct and intuitive approach to etching which is quite different to traditional methods for etching copper and zinc. Contemporary developments in creating mordants for salt etching have opened up aluminium as an exciting new possibility for etchers. It is fast, economical, easy to work, and beautiful. Generating a fantastic range of plate tones from pale grey to black without the need for the application of any aquatint. We will develop images using open bite and spit bite which can be further developed by mono-painting and drypointing directly onto the metal too.BOOK COURSE
- Creative Figure Sculpture Masterclass with Arabella Brooke£190.00Course CodeWC1702051TutorArabella Brooke CASDatesSaturday & Sunday, 3rd & 4th March 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£190This is the perfect 2-day course for those who have made a number of figure sculptures in a more traditional manner and would like to explore avenues of creative approaches. The method used will be working in clay from a life model, without using an inner armature structure. This course is for Intermediate to Advanced students and aims to build upon previous experience to further how to observe, translate your observation and ideas, then express them through the figure. Through clay and drawing exercises, refresh, renew or find alternative ways of exploring the pose. You will build upon your own sculptural expression with the help and guidance of a professional sculptor.BOOK COURSE
- Cyanotypes Blue Prints£160.00Course CodeWC1702PR89TutorMelanie KingDatesSaturday & Sunday, 31st March & 1st April 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£160Also sometimes known as sun printing, the Cyanotype process is one you can easily learn to do in a weekend. It offers a perfect introduction to alternative and traditional photographic processes and to the use of computers to produce photographic negatives for such processes. The course takes place in the Print Studio and also utilises the Digital Suite at the Art Academy. Both facilities offer a much wider programme of evening, weekend and daytime courses throughout the year. The cyanotype process is simple, non-toxic and can be adapted and incorporated into a range of other printmaking techniques such as photo-etching and mono-printing. It also offers a gateway to exploring other alternative and traditional photographic processes such as Salt and Gelatine Printing.BOOK COURSE
- Drawing for AllFrom: £160.00Course CodeWC1702001TutorAlison HandDatesSaturday & Sunday, 10th & 11th February 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£160A wonderful opportunity for people with all levels of experience to explore and enhance their drawing and life drawing skills. Over this packed weekend, students work through a variety of themes to learn fundamental drawing skills, including measurement, drawing the figure, and tonal drawing. As well as developing observational drawing skills, students are encouraged to be creative and expressive and to try out new approaches such as exploring different drawing materials, and experimenting with line and contrast. This is an intensive, informative, and fun weekend course, which teaches essential drawing skills whilst encouraging a creative approach.BOOK COURSE
- Drawing for BeginnersFrom: £265.00Course CodeSAT1702N014TutorNatasha LienDatesSaturdays, 20th January – 24th March 2018Days10Times10.30am – 1.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£265This course is an accessible, creative and relaxing introduction to the basic skills of drawing. Each session will focus on a different theme, providing a wide range of techniques to raise confidence and enhance visual awareness. Through various drawing approaches including still life, life drawing and portraiture, you will learn to explore and understand line, tone, measurement, texture and composition. There will be a life model in some sessions and students are encouraged to express themselves freely with guidance from the tutor. Please Note: This course takes place at our Newington site, 155 Walworth Road SE17 1RSBOOK COURSE
- Drawing for BeginnersFrom: £265.00Course CodeSAT1702014TutorSharon Leahy-ClarkDatesSaturdays, 20th January – 24th March 2018Days10Times2.00pm – 4.30pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£265This course is an accessible, creative and relaxing introduction to the basic skills of drawing. Each session will focus on a different theme, providing a wide range of techniques to raise confidence and enhance visual awareness. Through various drawing approaches including still life, life drawing and portraiture, you will learn to explore and understand line, tone, measurement, texture and composition. There will be a life model in some sessions and students are encouraged to express themselves freely with guidance from the tutor.BOOK COURSE
- European Woodcut Masterclass£240.00Course CodeWC1702PR070TutorUmberto GiovanniniDatesFriday, Saturday & Sunday, 2nd – 4th March 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£240This course is suitable for beginners and those with some printmaking experience. Over three days it focuses on the European tradition of multi-block colour woodcutting, working with professional carving tools and oil-based inks to create beautiful prints on archival quality paper. The course will be guided by one-to-one tuition from Italian printmaker Umberto Giovannini. Based in studio Opificio della Rosa, Umberto has developed a masterly understanding of both the Chiaroscuro woodcut technique (which exhibits strong contrasts between different colour inks) and Camaïeu (where subtler variations of tone come into effect).BOOK COURSE
- Figure and Narrative Painting Masterclass with James BlandFrom: £190.00Course CodeWC1702152TutorJames BlandDatesSaturday & Sunday, 17th & 18th March 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate, Intermediate/AdvancedFee£190This two day painting course offers students the opportunity to explore narrative painting in the life room. There will be an experienced life model for one and a half days and the set-up will include a props to help encourage imaginative responses to painting the figure. Every part of the process will be explained and demonstrated by James, and students will be able to see examples from art history of the techniques demonstrated. This course is ideal for anyone who wants to move beyond traditional life or portrait painting.BOOK COURSE
- Intermediate paintingFrom: £265.00Course CodeSAT1702038TutorLucy SmallboneDatesSaturdays, 20th January – 24th March 2018Days10Times10.30am – 1.00pmExperience LevelIntermediateFee£265This is an exciting course, which aims to help you discover what it is about painting that really inspires you. It is a great follow-on course from our ‘Painting for Beginners’ or ‘Creative Painting for Beginners’ and will also suit you if you already have some basic experience of painting and want to take your skills to the next level. The course begins by developing your core painting skills, exploring line, tone, colour and mass, whilst continually pushing your creative expression. The tutor will lead you to draw inspiration from many other artist’s work and will guide you step by step through the stages of developing your own painting. She will help you engage with the subject matters and styles that excite you and assist you in bringing them into your own artworks. By looking at a broad variety of techniques, materials and styles, the course aims to broaden your ability to express yourself in paint.BOOK COURSE
- Introduction to Oil PaintingFrom: £265.00Course CodeSAT1702037TutorGail Seres-WoolfsonDatesSaturdays, 20th January – 24th March 2018Days10Times10.30am – 1.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£265A structured and systematic 5-day course for those who have never painted before and for those who want to reinforce their basic oil skills or to move on to using oil paints having used acrylics or water-based media. Students learn to see colour, shape and tone, and to relate these elements together in compositions with access to a life model. This course aims will nurture self-confidence and enjoyment of painting in a stimulating, fun and relaxing environment. It is an ideal course for beginners as there is plenty of guidance from the tutor.BOOK COURSE
- Introduction to PaintingFrom: £160.00Course CodeWC1702013TutorNeil MorleyDatesSaturday & Sunday, 17th & 18th February 2018Days2Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£160This is a well-structured and systematic course for those who have never painted before or would like to reassess their approach to painting. Students learn to see colour, shape and tone, and to relate these elements together in compositions. This course aims to foster self-confidence and enjoyment of painting in a stimulating environment. Working through a series of exercises you will gain experience and skills in working from a life model, from still life as well as exploring a more creative approach to painting helping you establish your own style and identity. This course is a fun and relaxing experience that offers a high level of tutor contact time.BOOK COURSE
- Introduction to Sculpture£160.00Course CodeWC1702003TutorChristy SymingtonDatesSaturday & Sunday, 27th & 28th January 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£160This 2-day course is an exciting introduction for beginners, as well as for those with some previous experience, to gain or develop basic sculpture skills. Working mainly in clay and plaster and some other mixed media, you will learn a range of techniques with the opportunity to explore your own creative project. The combination of clay and plaster opens up creative possibilities and offers a fun weekend at your own pace. You will spend the first day creating a small clay figure sculpture from a life model. On the second day you will develop creative sculpture using plaster and mixed media no need to worry if you have nothing in mind until you arrive for the course. This is a great opportunity to discover, or return to, making 3-dimensional work and develop an individual approach. There will be the option to leave your finished sculpture for hollowing and firing for an additional fee.BOOK COURSE
- Linocut Illustration in Colour£170.00Course CodeWC1702PR85TutorNick MorleyDatesSaturday & Sunday, 17th & 18th March 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£170This course is suitable for beginners or those with printmaking experience. Nick Morley (aka “Linocut boy”) specialises in hand carved linocuts. Students will learn to use professional swiss tools and apply different printing techniques to create a range of effects. Nick will lead the group through the planning, carving and printing stages of multiplate printing. The studio is a low-toxic environment with dedicated printmaking facilities for professional hands-on learning. Students benefit from the diversity of attendees, taught by internationally renowned printmaking artists at a central location, offering a unique educational experience in London. There are a maximum of eight students per course, materials are included and we advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.BOOK COURSE
- Oil Painting TasterFrom: £85.00Course CodeSC1703T01TutorRhiannon SalisburyDatesMonday, 9th April 2018Days1Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£85This is a fun day-long taster course in oil painting for those who may be considering a longer evening or daytime course and are wondering how much they will enjoy it. Throughout the day the tutor will lead the class in hands-on, practical demonstrations to show you how to mix colour and see shape and tone, and how these elements relate to form a composition. We aim to foster self-certainty and an enjoyment of painting in a relaxed yet stimulating environment. You will make at least two paintings in the day, the morning will be spent focusing on how to handle oil paint whilst working with a limited tonal palette. Students will be have the opportunity to paint from the life model, exploring expressive mark making describing the tone and volume of the figure. During the afternoon you will start you use colour, working from a still-life set up using natural and organic forms. Throughout the day you will be encouraged to play and enjoy the application of paint whist also understanding techniques of working from observation.BOOK COURSE
- Open Life ClassFrom: £200.00Course CodeSAT1702001TutorEigil NordstrømDatesSaturdays 20th January – 24th March 2018Days10Times10.30am – 1.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£200The “Open Life Class” is a relaxed and enjoyable life drawing & painting course with a life model for various poses lasting between one and four weeks at a time. Students will be able to approach the human figure in any way they please and do as many drawings or paintings as they care to pursue with as much or as little instruction as they like. Your experienced tutors will happily guide both beginners and the more experienced painters. The class runs over two studios with a tutor in each room, students can go between the studios as they wish. Students should feel free to use whichever materials that they enjoy the most, whether that is drawing in charcoal or ink or painting in oils or acrylics. All paper is provided for the course but please bring your own drawing/painting materials. You can also attend this class as a drop-in and pay £25 per session. More information here.BOOK COURSE
- Painting for BeginnersFrom: £265.00Course CodeSAT1702113TutorGail Seres-WoolfsonDatesSaturdays, 20th January – 24th March 2018Days10Times2.00pm – 4.30pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£265This is a well-structured and systematic course for those who have never painted before or want to reassess their approach to painting. Students learn to see colour, shape and tone, and to relate all these elements together in compositions. This course aims to foster self-confidence and enjoyment of painting in a stimulating environment. Working through a series of exercises you will gain experience and skills in painting still life, self portrait and the interior. Whilst also exploring a more creative approach to painting, helping you establish your own style and identity. This course is a fun and relaxing experience, offering plenty of guidance from the tutor.BOOK COURSE
- Portrait paintingFrom: £265.00Course CodeSAT1702018TutorEigil NordstrømDatesSaturdays, 20th Janaury – 24th March 2018Days10Times2.00pm – 4.30pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£265This is a well structured course giving students opportunity to understand how to paint a portrait. The emphasis will be on learning to see form and colour accurately and using these skills to better create loose, expressive portraits. Working with oil paints students will develop a series of artworks, from short expressive painting sketches, to longer more detailed pieces. The class has the benefit of two experienced models every week as well as tuition from a talented professional artist.BOOK COURSE
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Sadie LeeFrom: £190.00Course CodeWC1702052TutorSadie LeeDatesSaturday & Sunday, 24th & 25th February 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate, Intermediate/AdvancedFee£190This two day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of an experienced working artist. The course will allow students the freedom to work from two models, both a male and female. Starting with preliminary sketches we will aim to produce a more ‘finished’ painting of either of the models over the two days. The aim of this course is to give students not only the practical skills to complete a portrait, but also the confidence to produce a portrait that is expressive and full of personal style. This exciting course is an intensive two days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.BOOK COURSE
- Printmaking Masterclass – Collagraph£170.00Course CodeWC1702PR86TutorKatherine JonesDatesSaturday & Sunday, 3rd & 4th February 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£170This course is suitable for relative beginners but will also benefit those who have attended previous collagraph courses. Collagraph relies on texture to build up plates that can be printed both in intaglio or relief and as a multi-plate print. Guided by Katherine Jones, a renowned British printmaker, you will expand your knowledge to realise a truly accessible and exciting new way of printmaking. The Art Academy’s printmaking studio is a low-toxic environment with dedicated facilities for professional hands-on learning. Students benefit from the diversity of attendees, taught by internationally renowned printmaker artists at a central location, offering a unique educational experience in London. There is a maximum of eight to ten students per course, materials are included and we advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.BOOK COURSE
- Printmaking Taster£160.00Course CodeWC1702PR01TutorVictoria BrowneDatesSaturday & Sunday, 17th & 18th February 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£160This popular course is ideal for beginners, repeat attendees or visitors to London, offering an in-depth introduction to printmaking. You will develop two print editions in one weekend. Working in both relief and intaglio, you will create a series of multicoloured reduction relief prints on linoleum with Japanese woodcut tools and a second series of hardground black and white line etchings on zinc using a saline sulphate mordant. This course will be tutored one-to-one by artist Victoria Browne. Victoria is an Associate Professor of Printmaking and Drawing, at Kunsthøgskolen, Oslo and founder of Kaleid Editions. There is a maximum of ten students per course guided by one to one tutoring from Victoria Browne, with ten years printmaking experience. The printmaking taster weekend can be followed up by evening or weekend courses specialising in either relief or etching. Open Access runs on Thursday evening and Saturday during the day, giving you the opportunity to further develop your printmaking skills.BOOK COURSE
- Unlocking Creativity£170.00Course CodeWC1702015TutorLorna Carmen McNeillDatesSaturday & Sunday, 24th & 25th March 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£170This course is designed to help you “free up” your creativity by exploring a range of art materials and approaches which will promote unexpected creative discovery. You will have the opportunity to create a series of art pieces, exploring a concept of your choice which the tutor will help you to identify, culminating in your own unique creation. This course facilitates active experimentation and an exploration of creativity via all your senses. It will help to give you the confidence and discernment to realise which areas of artistic expression you wish to explore next.BOOK COURSE
- Weekend Creative Mix£160.00Course CodeWC1702115TutorLaura Postle, Nevine Fathy, Theo Ereira-GuyerDatesSaturday & Sunday, 10th & 11th March 2018Days2Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£160This stimulating and exciting weekend course is an ideal way to explore a wide variety of artistic methods and media, learn new skills, discover what you enjoy most, and develop creative ideas. Over the two days, students will work across the different disciplines of painting, sculpture, drawing and printmaking. Students will have a chance to improve observational drawing skills; try out more expressive sculpture and painting, and learn how to approach the human figure, using a variety of materials and methods. This is a great ‘taster’ course and an excellent opportunity to develop new skills, explore materials and have fun.BOOK COURSE
- Young Artists£130.00Course CodeSAT1702N019TutorVariousDatesSaturdays, 20th January – 17th February 2018Days5Times2.00pm – 4.30pmExperience LevelAges 12-14Fee£130Young Artists is an exciting five day course for ages 12-14 providing high level art tuition, including drawing workshops, contemporary painting, specialist sculpture techniques, and using experimental media. Focused classes create a supportive environment, and there is a strong focus on personal outcomes and solutions to develop independent judgement. Access to specialist materials and facilities improve technical skills, and discussion and presentation sessions build confidence and critical understanding. This course is ideal for those studying a range of arts based GCSE subjects, or wanting to advance their artistic skills and creative confidence. Please Note: This course takes place at our Newington site, 155 Walworth Road SE17 1RSBOOK COURSE
- Young Artists£130.00Course CodeSAT1702N119TutorVariousDatesSaturdays, 24th February – 24th March 2018Days5Times2.00pm – 4.30pmExperience LevelAges 12-14Fee£130Young Artists is an exciting five day course for ages 12-14 providing high level art tuition, including drawing workshops, contemporary painting, specialist sculpture techniques, and using experimental media. Focused classes create a supportive environment, and there is a strong focus on personal outcomes and solutions to develop independent judgement. Access to specialist materials and facilities improve technical skills, and discussion and presentation sessions build confidence and critical understanding. This course is ideal for those studying a range of arts based GCSE subjects, or wanting to advance their artistic skills and creative confidence. Please Note: This course takes place at our Newington site, 155 Walworth Road SE17 1RSBOOK COURSE
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
Mermaid Court: +44 (0) 20 7407 6969
Newington: +44 (0)207 701 2880
Newington: +44 (0)207 701 2880
OFFICE OPENING HOURS
Monday – Friday
9.00am – 5.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm