Summer holidays are ideal times to consider joining us at the Art Academy. For short courses lasting four to five days, we open our studios for classes across a range of disciplines. From introductory courses for the beginner, to masterclasses for the more experienced, our courses are taught by specialists in their fields.
Class numbers are kept to a maximum of 15, so that the tutor has plenty of time to give individual attention to each student.
We also run a young artists’ course for teenagers interested in or are thinking about applying to art school. Aimed at young people doing GCSE or A-level art, the course is an ideal art school ‘taster’, a ‘no risk’ way for students to get a feel for what it might be like on a Foundation course.
Material packs can be purchased with some of our courses. Please check the details of the individual class. You can also buy an Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting or Drawing Pack individually on our Materials Page.
Please note, our courses are only suitable and available for students 18 years old and above. If you are 17 and keen to apply to a particular adult course, please ring the office and in some instances we may be able to accommodate you. We also have variety of courses specifically designed for under 18’s as part of our Young Artists programme.
- Digital Animation£330.00Course CodeSC1704097TutorJocie JuritzDatesMonday – Friday, 20th -24th August 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£330LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis week long course takes a fun approach to digital animation - learning to create 'hand drawn' 2D animation using Photoshop. Students will have the opportunity to explore and experiment with frame by frame techniques that bring your digital drawings to life. Working on a graphics tablet and drawing directly into Photoshop, your experienced tutor will guide you step by step through the principles of animation. By the end of this course each student will have developed a good understanding of how to use the software and have their own animated GIF to share.MORE INFO
- Figure Painting Masterclass with Andy JamesSold OutCourse CodeSC1704250TutorAndy JamesDatesMonday – Friday, 20th – 24th August 2018Days5Times10.00am - 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£360LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRUnder Andy’s guidance, students will concentrate on developing the relationship between drawing and painting of the figure whilst considering mark-making, colour and the handling properties of paint. These elements will be fused together over the five day course by firstly making several drawn studies in both dry materials and oil paints, followed by a one day oil painting and finally, a more developed three day painting in oil. The consideration of accuracy of observation and measurement will be looked at in relation to freedom of expression, exploration of materials and engagement with an expressive and individual painterly language. Students will receive regular one-to-one guidance throughout the course. A self taught artist, Andy James has been painting for over 25 years, capturing incredible likeness and energy of his subjects, through his sumptuous, rigorous & painterly approach. Based in Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Andrew James is a highly sought after artist. He has worked on many prestigious commissions of well known public figures. Winner of the Carroll Foundation Award, the Changing Faces Award and of BBC’s Star Portraits. Andrew served as the Vice President of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters from 2008 to 2014.
- Life DrawingFrom: £330.00Course CodeSC1704001TutorFrancesca CorraDatesMonday – Friday, 20th – 24th August 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£330LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRUnderstanding the structure of the human figure and the way it is situated within a space is an essential practice for anyone keen to develop their drawing and observational skills. Each week you will have a different theme to explore, working from the model with guidance from our highly experienced tutor. With an encouraging focus exploring your own approach to drawing, you will work through a series of exercises using a wide range of materials including charcoal and graphite. This course teaches skills and expressive drawing in a unique way to bring your drawing on most effectively and is suitable for more advanced drawers as well as beginners.MORE INFO
- Unlocking Creativity£330.00Course CodeSC1704015TutorLorna Carmen McNeillDatesMonday – Friday, 20th – 24th August 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£330LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis course is designed to help you “free” your creativity by exploring a range of art materials and approaches which will promote unexpected creative discovery. You’ll have the opportunity to create a series of art pieces, exploring a concept of your choice which the tutor will help you to identify, culminating in your own unique creation. This course facilitates active experimentation and an exploration of creativity via all your senses. It will help to give you the confidence and discernment to realise which areas of artistic expression you wish to explore next.MORE INFO
- Young Artists£330.00Course CodeSC1704419TutorJessica Wetherly, Zoe ToolanDatesMonday - Friday, 20th - 24th August 2018Days5Experience LevelAges 12-14Fee£330LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRYoung Artists is an exciting five day course for ages 12-14 providing high level art tuition, including drawing workshops, contemporary painting, specialist sculpture techniques, and using experimental media. Focused classes create a supportive environment, and there is a strong focus on personal outcomes and solutions to develop independent judgement. Access to specialist materials and facilities improve technical skills, and discussion and presentation sessions build confidence and critical understanding. This course is ideal for those studying a range of arts based GCSE subjects, or wanting to advance their artistic skills and creative confidence.MORE INFO
- Drawing for AllFrom: £265.00Course CodeSC1704009TutorFrancesca CorraDatesTuesday – Friday, 28th – 31st August 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£265LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRA wonderful opportunity for people with all levels of experience to explore the skills of drawing and life drawing. Throughout the course you will work to a variety of themes to learn fundamental drawing skills, including composition, tonal drawing, measurement and movement. Once mastered students are encouraged to develop a creative approach interjected with urban sketching, exploration of different lines, contrasts, compositions, materials and techniques. This is a structured informative, yet fun and stimulating, course that teaches essential drawing skills whilst encouraging a creative approach.MORE INFO
- Drawing Views of LondonFrom: £265.00Course CodeSC1704004TutorNatasha LienDatesTuesday – Friday, 28th – 31st August 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£265LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRA wonderful opportunity for people with all levels of experience to explore the skills of outdoor sketching and urban drawing. Over the five days, students will draw on location at various sites near the Art Academy. Students will tackle the architecture of the Southbank, explore busy Borough Market, sketch the serene view across to St Paul's and much more. Each class will begin with a brief introduction to the day’s subject, showing examples of the work of artists who have depicted similar scenes to the ones which the students will experience. Each day the tutor will introduce a new material or drawing technique for the students to explore over the day, in their sketchbooks or on larger sheets of paper.MORE INFO
- Pewter Casting using the “Lost Wax” Technique£265.00Course CodeSC1704032TutorRobert Worley MRBSDatesTuesday – Friday, 28th – 31st August 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£265LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis practical course is suitable for beginners and experienced artists who want to experiment with metal cast sculpture. Pewter is a metal that can be cast and finished in your own studio, with relatively basic equipment, and without the need of a foundry. Pewter is a silver coloured tin metal alloy which melts at low temperatures. During the course you will model a sculpture in wax, learn how to cast in pewter using plaster waste moulds and the ‘lost wax’ casting technique. Bring your own ideas or come with an open mind and be inspired to work with new materials and sculpture techniques. This is a practical workshop based course with one to one and group guidance from the tutor.MORE INFO
- Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with Hazel Reeves£290.00Course CodeSC1704153TutorHazel ReevesDatesTuesday – Friday, 28th – 31st August 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£290LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRPortrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This course aims to build upon your previous experience [Intermediate/Advanced] to further how to observe and translate your observation into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your tutor, Hazel Reeves MRBS SWA FRSA, who is a Member of the Royal British Society of Sculptors, on the Council of the Society of Women Artists and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts . Whether setting out a portrait head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach, you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural experience. Hazel will take you through the tried-and-tested method she uses to set up a life-size portrait for a commission. This approach ensures the portrait is structurally-sound before moving-on to working on the detail of features. A likeness will slowly emerge over the five days. There will be the option to leave your finished sculpture for hollowing and firing for an additional fee.MORE INFO
- Sculpture Taster£85.00Course CodeSAT1704T03TutorJessica WetherlyDatesSaturday, 25th AugustDays1Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£85LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis is a fun, day-long taster course in sculpting with clay and plaster for those who may be considering a longer evening or daytime course and want to try it out first. Spend the morning with the joy of clay to create a small figure sculpture from a life model. In the afternoon mix plaster and other media to make your own creative sculpture. No need to worry if you have nothing in mind. This is a great opportunity to combine these two basic sculpture skills and techniques. There will be the option to leave your clay sculpture for hollowing and firing for an additional fee and you are welcome to take home your plaster piece. Throughout the day the tutor will lead the class in practical demonstrations to help you get a feel for the medium and the way it can be manipulated into shape and form. We aim to foster self-certainty and an enjoyment of sculpting in a relaxed yet stimulating environment.MORE INFO
- Young Artists£265.00Course CodeSC1704519TutorHannah Turner-Duffin, Jessica WetherlyDatesTuesday – Friday, 28th – 31st August 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAges 12-14Fee£265LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRYoung Artists is an exciting four day course for ages 12-14 providing high level art tuition, including drawing workshops, contemporary painting, specialist sculpture techniques, and using experimental media. Focused classes create a supportive environment, and there is a strong focus on personal outcomes and solutions to develop independent judgement. Access to specialist materials and facilities improve technical skills, and discussion and presentation sessions build confidence and critical understanding. This course is ideal for those studying a range of arts based GCSE subjects, or wanting to advance their artistic skills and creative confidence.MORE INFO
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
Mermaid Court: +44 (0) 20 7407 6969
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
OFFICE OPENING HOURS
Monday – Friday
9.00am – 5.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm