- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Sam DalbyFrom: £195.00Course CodeWC1803050TutorSam Dalby RPDatesSaturday & Sunday, 25th & 26th May 2019Days2Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£195LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis two day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Sam Dalby. The course will allow students the freedom to work from life models. Under Sam’s guidance, you will learn how to complete a portrait from a ‘cold’ start in the life drawing room, through sketching and monochrome painting on the first day and colour painting on the final day. This exciting course is an intensive two days that offers a high level of tutor contact time with a lot of practical demonstration. Sam exhibits in solo and group exhibitions around the UK. He is a commissioned portrait artist who has created amongst other things, a series of drawings of Fellows at Trinity College Cambridge, and a portrait of the playwright Alan Bennett. https://www.instagram.com/samdalbyart/ www.facebook.com/SamDalbyArtist/MORE INFO
- Clothed Figure Painting Masterclass with Roxana HallsFrom: £395.00Course CodeSC1804150TutorRoxana HallsDatesMonday - Friday, 12th August - 16th August 2019Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£395LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis five day course offers the fantastic opportunity to study under the expert tuition of Roxana Halls, focussing on the figure and portraiture and working with costume and fabric to create a narrative for a painting. Throughout the week students will be painting directly from clothed life models.
Clothed Portrait painting Masterclass is an ideal opportunity to develop a number of different aspects of painting, from an understanding of tone, proportion, through to composition, creating a likeness, developing narrative in the work, formal elements of design and working with costume and fabric. The aim of this course is to teach students how to develop ideas from initial sketches and the refinement of ideas through to developing coherent work.
We will cover some of the techniques an artist can deploy when building a clothed narrative portrait. Our emphasis will be not only on creating a likeness and looking at compositional approaches but also developing an understanding of how to paint fabric & drapery, we will discuss specific methods for tackling the delineation and volume in the shapes, shadows and folds of different types of garments.MORE INFO
- Figure Painting Masterclass with Alan McGowanFrom: £395.00Course CodeSC1804051TutorAlan McGowanDatesMonday - Friday, 22nd - 26th July 2019Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£395LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRUnder Alan’s guidance, students will concentrate on developing the relationship between life drawing and painting whilst considering mark-making, colour and the handling properties of paint. These elements will be fused together over the five day course by firstly making several drawn studies in both dry materials and oil paints, followed by a one day oil painting and finally, a more developed three day painting in oil. The consideration of accuracy of observation and measurement will be looked at in relation to freedom of expression, exploration of materials and engagement with an expressive and individual painterly language. Students will receive regular one-to-one guidance throughout the course.MORE INFO
- Figure Painting Masterclass with Sarah Jane MoonFrom: £395.00Course CodeSC1804054TutorSarah Jane MoonDatesMonday - Friday, 5th August - 9th August 2019Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£395LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis figure painting course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Sarah Jane Moon. The course will include opportunities to visually think through composition, colour and tone in a graphic and bold way through drawing and painting from the model. A day will be spent drawing and studying tone in anticipation of three days creating a dynamic and fully realised figure painting. Over an intense five-day period, students will work towards creative exciting and emotionally engaged work that has both accuracy and expression. The course is designed to give students the practical skills and grounding in technique to paint with confidence and unique style. It will further develop skills in painting a good portrait likeness whilst also enabling an increased understanding of what it means to make a compelling painting with narrative and compositional intrigue. Students will receive regular one-to-one guidance throughout the course.MORE INFO
- Painting Masterclass with Toby WigginsFrom: £395.00Course CodeSC1804250TutorToby WigginsDatesMonday - Friday, 19th August - 23rd August 2019Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£395LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis five-day portrait painting course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Toby Wiggins RP. There are many ways to make a successful portrait painting and so I prefer not to prescribe a particular method, manner or ‘technique’, but rather to re-examine the fundamentals underpinning the language of painting and drawing with particular attention to the challenges of portraiture. During the course we will discuss examples of great portraiture, look at issues around materials- paints, mediums and supports. We will work towards a better understanding of what constitutes ‘likeness’, we will unpick and explore drawing and mark-making, the anatomy of the head, composition, the relevance of scale and uses of tone and colour. Finally we will look at ways to move beyond ‘likeness’ or mere optical accuracy, towards personal intent and personal expression. It’s an intensive five days that offer a high level of tutor contact time with Toby giving demonstrations, individual guidance, criticism and advice. The course aims to stimulate, refresh and advance each students practice on an individual basis.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass – Observation and SettingFrom: £365.00Course CodeSC1803150TutorMelissa Scott-MillerDatesMonday - Friday, 8th April - 12th April 2019Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£365LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRMelissa Scott-Miller is an expert in detail, and this Masterclass aims to teach the importance of detail in the surroundings of a portrait model, bringing to life not only the character of the model but also the richness of the environment in which they are positioned. Over the five days of this course you will paint a model in a setting or conversation piece. The model will be in front of a window surrounded by interesting props, including taxidermy and antique objects d'art, richly coloured and patterned fabrics and carpets. The aim of the course is to make an interesting picture that could tell a story about the sitter but also enhance the portrait rather than distract from it. You will look at some reproductions of paintings by artists such as Vermeer and Holbein and some contemporary painters as well. This is a valuable opportunity for more experienced painters to study portrait painting under the guidance of an established artist in an intensive programme with a high level of tutor contact time.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Alex FowlerFrom: £320.00Course CodeSC1803250TutorAlex FowlerDatesMonday - Thursday, 15th April - 18th April 2019Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£320LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis four-day Portrait Painting Masterclass with Alex Fowler offers a fantastic opportunity for intensive study from a life model under the expert tutelage of Alex Fowler. The course has been designed to guide you through the process of painting a portrait while taking into consideration how to paint realistic colour and to convey likeness: the right colour in the right place - a critical point in painting the visible world. You will also be encouraged to work intuitively and expressively in tandem with an emphasis on accuracy of observation. Students will receive one-to-one guidance throughout the course and Alex will be on hand to give regular feedback and constructive advice. He will also be demonstrating and painting alongside the students. What topics will you cover? Painting and drawing accurately to capture realistic likeness. Colour mixing; exploring a subtle use of tonal values in paint.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Antony WilliamsFrom: £395.00Course CodeSC1804050TutorAntony WilliamsDatesMonday - Friday, 5th August - 9th August 2019Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£395LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis five day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Antony Williams. During the first two days of this course you will be introduced to several techniques through a series of short poses and sketches to prepare you for your 3-day portrait project. Under Antony’s guidance, students will concentrate on painting allowing the emphasis to be on relating the figure to a convincing background, to be produced over a sustained period. The tutor will also be working alongside the students demonstrating his technique. This exciting course is an intensive five days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Tim BensonSold OutCourse CodeSC1803050TutorTim BensonDatesMonday - Thursday, 15th April - 18th April 2019Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£320LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis four-day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Tim Benson. The course will allow students the freedom to work from two models each day, one male and one female. Starting with loose charcoal sketches those taking part in the course will produce at least four oil sketches on the second day and at least one more 'finished' painting by the final day. Under Tim’s guidance, students will concentrate on tonal painting allowing the emphasis to be on the form. During the course of the painting there will be an in-depth look at how to mix up colours. The tutor will also be working alongside the students demonstrating a 'wet in wet' technique. This exciting course is an intensive five days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.
Art Academy Moodle
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
Mermaid Court: +44 (0) 20 7407 6969
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
OFFICE OPENING HOURS
Monday – Friday
9.00am – 5.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm