Our Masterclasses are a special feature of the Art Academy. Drawing on our extensive professional network we are able to persuade expert, sought-after practitioners to teach classes – people who are experts in their field and who rarely teach. Masterclasses are designed for people who have some experience, and want to take their work further. Teaching groups are deliberately small, with intense tuition, and personalised guidance.
Material packs can be purchased with some of our courses. Please check the details of the individual class. You can also buy an Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting or Drawing Pack individually on our Materials Page.
Please note, our courses are only suitable and available for students 18 years old and above. If you are 17 and keen to apply to a particular adult course, please ring the office and in some instances we may be able to accommodate you. We also have variety of courses specifically designed for under 18’s as part of our Young Artists programme.
- Creative Figure Sculpture Masterclass with Arabella Brooke£190.00Course CodeWC1702051TutorArabella Brooke CASDatesSaturday & Sunday, 3rd & 4th March 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£190This is the perfect 2-day course for those who have made a number of figure sculptures in a more traditional manner and would like to explore avenues of creative approaches. The method used will be working in clay from a life model, without using an inner armature structure. This course is for Intermediate to Advanced students and aims to build upon previous experience to further how to observe, translate your observation and ideas, then express them through the figure. Through clay and drawing exercises, refresh, renew or find alternative ways of exploring the pose. You will build upon your own sculptural expression with the help and guidance of a professional sculptor.BOOK COURSE
- Figure and Narrative Painting Masterclass with James BlandFrom: £190.00Course CodeWC1702152TutorJames BlandDatesSaturday & Sunday, 17th & 18th March 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate, Intermediate/AdvancedFee£190This two day painting course offers students the opportunity to explore narrative painting in the life room. There will be an experienced life model for one and a half days and the set-up will include a props to help encourage imaginative responses to painting the figure. Every part of the process will be explained and demonstrated by James, and students will be able to see examples from art history of the techniques demonstrated. This course is ideal for anyone who wants to move beyond traditional life or portrait painting.BOOK COURSE
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Sadie LeeFrom: £190.00Course CodeWC1702052TutorSadie LeeDatesSaturday & Sunday, 24th & 25th February 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate, Intermediate/AdvancedFee£190This two day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of an experienced working artist. The course will allow students the freedom to work from two models, both a male and female. Starting with preliminary sketches we will aim to produce a more ‘finished’ painting of either of the models over the two days. The aim of this course is to give students not only the practical skills to complete a portrait, but also the confidence to produce a portrait that is expressive and full of personal style. This exciting course is an intensive two days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.BOOK COURSE
- Printmaking Masterclass – Collagraph£170.00Course CodeWC1702PR86TutorKatherine JonesDatesSaturday & Sunday, 3rd & 4th February 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£170This course is suitable for relative beginners but will also benefit those who have attended previous collagraph courses. Collagraph relies on texture to build up plates that can be printed both in intaglio or relief and as a multi-plate print. Guided by Katherine Jones, a renowned British printmaker, you will expand your knowledge to realise a truly accessible and exciting new way of printmaking. The Art Academy’s printmaking studio is a low-toxic environment with dedicated facilities for professional hands-on learning. Students benefit from the diversity of attendees, taught by internationally renowned printmaker artists at a central location, offering a unique educational experience in London. There is a maximum of eight to ten students per course, materials are included and we advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.BOOK COURSE
- Figure Painting Masterclass with Sarah Jane MoonFrom: £360.00Course CodeSC1703251TutorSarah Jane MoonDatesMonday – Friday, 9th – 13th April 2018Days5Times10.00am - 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£360This figure painting course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Sarah Jane Moon. The course will include opportunies to visually think through composition, colour and tone in a graphic and bold way through drawing and painting from the model. A day will be spent drawing and studying tone in anticipation of three days creating a dynamic and fully realised figure painting. Over an intense five day period, students will work towards creative exciting and emotionally engaged work that has both accuracy and expression. The course is designed to give students the practical skills and grounding in technique to paint with confidence and unique style. It will further develop skills in painting a good portrait likeness whilst also enabling an increased understanding of what it means to make a compelling painting with narrative and compositional intrigue. Students will receive regular one-to-one guidance throughout the course.BOOK COURSE
- Painting the Nude Masterclass with Andy PankhurstFrom: £280.00Course CodeSC1703151TutorAndy PankhurstDatesTuesday – Friday, 3rd – 6th April 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£280‘Painting is not the slavish copying of an object but the grasping of a harmony between several interactions…a powerful organizing mind is the best aid to sensation in the realization of a work of art’. Paul Cezanne’s statement evokes the creative spirit and philosophy of this four day life painting course offering an opportunity to allow students the freedom to work from a sustained nude model pose enabling intense and sustained perceptual concentration while under the tuition of Andy Pankhurst. Starting with preliminary drawings on day one you will be introduced to concepts of: measurement and proportion, form, tone, composition and pictorial structure. The focus will then be on producing small scale colour oil sketches with a particular emphasis on ‘temperature of colour’, with the final two days working on a larger scale painting from the model. Under Andy’s guidance you will learn how to complete a nude painting from a ‘cold’ start in the life drawing room through both the imaginative response and practical stages of construction to the final execution. This exciting course is an intensive four days that offers a high level of tutor contact time. Andy Pankhurst studied and continues to teach life drawing at the Slade School of Fine Art. He is a figurative painter with work represented in various public, corporate and private collections and museums in the UK and USA. Andy exhibits with Browse & Darby in London, with his most recent show of paintings and drawings in November 2014. He is the co-author with Lucinda Hawksley of "What Makes Great Art", published 2012 by Apple Press.BOOK COURSE
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Sam DalbyFrom: £280.00Course CodeSC1703250TutorSam Dalby RPDatesTuesday – Friday, 3rd – 6th April 2018Days4Times10.00am - 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£280This four day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Sam Dalby. The course will allow students the freedom to work from two models, both a male and female. Starting with preliminary drawing in line on day one and and moving onto a tonal preliminary drawing on day two. The focus will then be on producing oil sketches on the third day then on the final two days it is all about completing a finished painting of the chosen model. Under Sam’s guidance, you will learn how to complete a portrait from a ‘cold’ start in the life drawing room, through the imaginative and practical stages of construction, to the final execution . This exciting course is an intensive four days that offers a high level of tutor contact time. Educated at Harrogate College of Arts and Technology and Cleveland College of Art and Design from 1993-1997, Sam Dalby is a portrait painter with an established and growing reputation. He has been a member of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters since 2013. Sam is an experienced life drawing and portrait painting tutor who recognises the importance of a strong drawing technique, and how it can strengthen any artistic practice.BOOK COURSE
- Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with David Klein£360.00Course CodeSC1703053TutorDavid KleinDatesMonday – Friday, 9th – 13th April 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£360Portrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This course aims to build upon your previous experience [Intermediate/Advanced] to further how to observe and translate your observation into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your tutor, David Klein, member of the Royal British Society of Sculptors (MRBS) and the Society of Portrait Sculptors (SPS). Whether setting out a portrait head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach, you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural experience. David Klein hopes to impart a few of the tools he has learnt and explore on this course that wonderful tension between finely rendered form and unworked chaos. Portraiture is a search. This search for form, truth and personality requires tools. From the force of the neck into the weight of the head, which in so many ways defines and marks exceptional sculpture. This course will explore the structure, turning points of form, emphasis and simplification.BOOK COURSE
- Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with Hazel Reeves£290.00Course CodeSC1704153TutorHazel ReevesDatesMonday – Friday, 28th – 31st August 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£290Portrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This course aims to build upon your previous experience [Intermediate/Advanced] to further how to observe and translate your observation into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your tutor, Hazel Reeves MRBS SWA FRSA, who is a Member of the Royal British Society of Sculptors, on the Council of the Society of Women Artists and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts . Whether setting out a portrait head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach, you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural experience. Hazel will take you through the tried-and-tested method she uses to set up a life-size portrait for a commission. This approach ensures the portrait is structurally-sound before moving-on to working on the detail of features. A likeness will slowly emerge over the five days. There will be the option to leave your finished sculpture for hollowing and firing for an additional fee.BOOK COURSE
Currently we have no courses for sale, please subscribe to our Newsletter to be kept up to date with when these are announced.
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
Mermaid Court: +44 (0) 20 7407 6969
Newington: +44 (0)207 701 2880
Newington: +44 (0)207 701 2880
OFFICE OPENING HOURS
Monday – Friday
9.00am – 5.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm