Our Masterclasses are a special feature of the Art Academy. Drawing on our extensive professional network we are able to persuade expert, sought-after practitioners to teach classes – people who are experts in their field and who rarely teach. Masterclasses are designed for people who have some experience, and want to take their work further. Teaching groups are deliberately small, with intense tuition, and personalised guidance.
Material packs can be purchased with some of our courses. Please check the details of the individual class. You can also buy an Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting or Drawing Pack individually on our Materials Page.
Please note, our courses are only suitable and available for students 18 years old and above. If you are 17 and keen to apply to a particular adult course, please ring the office and in some instances we may be able to accommodate you. We also have variety of courses specifically designed for under 18’s as part of our Young Artists programme.
- Cyanotypes Blue Prints£255.00Course CodeWC1704PR89TutorMelanie KingDatesFriday & Saturday & Sunday, 24th August - 26th August 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£255LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRAlso sometimes known as sun printing, the Cyanotype process is one you can easily learn to do in a weekend. It offers a perfect introduction to alternative and traditional photographic processes and to the use of computers to produce photographic negatives for such processes. The course takes place in the Print Studio and also utilises the Digital Suite at the Art Academy. Both facilities offer a much wider programme of evening, weekend and daytime courses throughout the year. The cyanotype process is simple, non-toxic and can be adapted and incorporated into a range of other printmaking techniques such as photo-etching and mono-printing. It also offers a gateway to exploring other alternative and traditional photographic processes such as Salt and Gelatine Printing.MORE INFO
- Figure and Narrative Painting Masterclass with James BlandFrom: £190.00Course CodeWC1801050TutorJames BlandDatesSaturday & Sunday, 6th & 7th October 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate, Intermediate/AdvancedFee£195This two day painting course offers students the opportunity to explore narrative painting in the life room. There will be experienced life models and the set-up will include props to help encourage imaginative responses. Every part of the process will be explained and demonstrated by James, this course is ideal for anyone who wants to move beyond traditional life or portrait painting. James Bland is a member of the New English Art Club and 1st prize winner in the 2013 Winsor & Newton Oil Painters Awards. He has work in public collections, including the Borchard Collection of Self-Portraits, and he exhibits regularly in London and elsewhere, most recently in his solo exhibition at the Lilford Gallery, Canterbury. A popular tutor, he regularly teaches portraiture at the Art Academy. He also teaches figure and narrative painting at the New School of Art and Landscape painting at various international venues, including La Borie Grande.MORE INFO
- Lino Etching Masterclass£175.00Course CodeWC1801PR71TutorSteve EdwardsDatesSaturday & Sunday, 29th & 30th September 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£175LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis course is ideal for attendees keen to further develop their relief printmaking skills. It teaches a more gestural approach to lino, combining the classical skill of carving a lino block with a contemporary approach to etching its surface with caustic soda. Bringing together painterly textures and graphic forms in a colourful multi-block print. The weekend course is a unique opportunity for a maximum of eight attendees, guided by one to one tutoring from Steve Edwards, a renowned British Printmaker. We advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.MORE INFO
- Linocut Illustration in Colour£255.00Course CodeWC1704PR85TutorNick MorleyDatesFriday & Saturday & Sunday, 31st August - 2nd September 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£255LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis 3-day weekend course is suitable for beginners or those with printmaking experience. Nick Morley (aka “Linocut boy”) specialises in hand carved linocuts. Students will learn to use professional swiss tools and apply different printing techniques to create a range of effects. Nick will lead the group through the planning, carving and printing stages of multiplate printing. The Art Academy’s printmaking studio is a low-toxic environment with dedicated facilities for professional hands-on learning. Students benefit from the diversity of attendees, taught by internationally renowned printmaker artists at a central location, offering a unique educational experience in London. There is a maximum of eight to ten students per course, materials are included and we advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.MORE INFO
- Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with Suzie Zamit£195.00Course CodeWC1801053TutorSuzie ZamitDatesSaturday & Sunday, 10th & 11th November 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£195Portrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This 2-day course aims to build upon your previous experience (Intermediate/Advanced) to further how to observe and translate your observation through drawing and modelling into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your tutor, Suzie Zamit, a member of The Society of Portrait Sculptors. Whether setting out a head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural expression. Focus is on understanding measurement, anatomy, architecture, form, high-points and contours, texture and clay application as well as character and expression of the model in the sculpture.MORE INFO
- Printmaking Masterclass – Collagraph£175.00Course CodeWC1801PR86TutorKatherine JonesDatesSaturday & Sunday, 13th - 14th October 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£175LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis 3-day weekend course is suitable for relative beginners but will also benefit those who have attended previous collagraph courses. Collagraph relies on texture to build up plates that can be printed both in intaglio or relief and as a multi-plate print. Guided by Katherine Jones, a renowned British printmaker, you will expand your knowledge to realise a truly accessible and exciting new way of printmaking. The Art Academy’s printmaking studio is a low-toxic environment with dedicated facilities for professional hands-on learning. Students benefit from the diversity of attendees, taught by internationally renowned printmaker artists at a central location, offering a unique educational experience in London. There is a maximum of eight to ten students per course, materials are included and we advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.MORE INFO
- Figure Painting Masterclass with Andy JamesSold OutCourse CodeSC1704250TutorAndy JamesDatesMonday – Friday, 20th – 24th August 2018Days5Times10.00am - 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£360LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRUnder Andy’s guidance, students will concentrate on developing the relationship between drawing and painting of the figure whilst considering mark-making, colour and the handling properties of paint. These elements will be fused together over the five day course by firstly making several drawn studies in both dry materials and oil paints, followed by a one day oil painting and finally, a more developed three day painting in oil. The consideration of accuracy of observation and measurement will be looked at in relation to freedom of expression, exploration of materials and engagement with an expressive and individual painterly language. Students will receive regular one-to-one guidance throughout the course. A self taught artist, Andy James has been painting for over 25 years, capturing incredible likeness and energy of his subjects, through his sumptuous, rigorous & painterly approach. Based in Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Andrew James is a highly sought after artist. He has worked on many prestigious commissions of well known public figures. Winner of the Carroll Foundation Award, the Changing Faces Award and of BBC’s Star Portraits. Andrew served as the Vice President of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters from 2008 to 2014.
- Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with Hazel Reeves£290.00Course CodeSC1704153TutorHazel ReevesDatesTuesday – Friday, 28th – 31st August 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£290LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRPortrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This course aims to build upon your previous experience [Intermediate/Advanced] to further how to observe and translate your observation into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your tutor, Hazel Reeves MRBS SWA FRSA, who is a Member of the Royal British Society of Sculptors, on the Council of the Society of Women Artists and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts . Whether setting out a portrait head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach, you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural experience. Hazel will take you through the tried-and-tested method she uses to set up a life-size portrait for a commission. This approach ensures the portrait is structurally-sound before moving-on to working on the detail of features. A likeness will slowly emerge over the five days. There will be the option to leave your finished sculpture for hollowing and firing for an additional fee.MORE INFO
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
Mermaid Court: +44 (0) 20 7407 6969
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
OFFICE OPENING HOURS
Monday – Friday
9.00am – 5.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm