Our Masterclasses are a special feature of the Art Academy. Drawing on our extensive professional network we are able to persuade expert, sought-after practitioners to teach classes – people who are experts in their field and who rarely teach. Masterclasses are designed for people who have some experience, and want to take their work further. Teaching groups are deliberately small, with intense tuition, and personalised guidance.
Material packs can be purchased with some of our courses. Please check the details of the individual class. You can also buy an Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting or Drawing Pack individually on our Materials Page.
Please note, our courses are only suitable and available for students 18 years old and above. We have a variety of courses specifically designed for under 18’s as part of our Young Artists programme.
- Expressive Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with Hazel Reeves£195.00Course CodeWC1904053TutorHazel ReevesCourse DatesSaturday & Sunday, 15th & 16th August 2020Days2Times10.00am – 4.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£195LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis 2-day workshop is an exciting opportunity to work with top portrait artist Hazel Reeves and is for those with a bit more experience with portraiture. It will enable you to focus on getting expression, character, emotion and movement in your sculptures. Using a different model each day, you will have the chance to sculpt in clay a series of smaller heads focusing on ways of bringing the piece to life, using texture, form, tone and the pose/composition. This concentrated modelling will be interspersed with fun exercises – with clay and without – to bring more spontaneity to your work.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Andy JamesFrom: £360.00Course CodeWC1904151TutorAndy JamesCourse DatesFriday, Saturday & Sunday, 10th July - 12th July 2020Days3Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£360LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis course is designed to help you further develop your portait painting skills, focusing on both creating a likeness and increasing the expressive aspects of your portrait skills. These two elements will be explored together over this three-day masterclass; you'll first make several charcoal studies, followed by a brief oil sketch and finally, a fully developed portrait in oil. You'll focus on accuracy of observation and measurement, while also making a fresh, energised and expressive response to the model. By the end of the masterclass, you will have developed your existing skills and knowledge of structure, tone, colour, composition and express use of paint and charcoal, and you will have completed one portrait painting and a number of briefer sketches and studies. The class has the benefit of 1:6 model to student ratio, as well as tuition from a talented professional artist. Throughout this masterclass, you'll receive regular one-to-one guidance from Andy James. A self taught artist, Andy has been painting for over 25 years, capturing incredible likeness and energy of his subjects through his sumptuous, rigorous and painterly approach. Andy has worked on many prestigious commissions of well-known public figures. He was the winner of the Carroll Foundation Award, the Changing Faces Award and of BBC’s Star Portraits, and served as the Vice President of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters from 2008 to 2014.MORE INFO
- Life-Size Figure Sculpture MasterclassSold OutCourse CodeSC1904LSSTutorLaura PostleCourse DatesTBCGuest tutorsValentina ZlatarovaDays25Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£1500LocationArt Academy London - Newington, 155 Walworth Road SE17 1RSDUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC THIS COURSE IS POSTPONED. If you would like to join this course in the future send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep you informed once new dates are decided. This course is a rare opportunity to work on a full life size figure within a small class size. Working with your tutors Laura Postle and Valentina Zlatarova, students will develop and hone the skills required to produce large scale figure work. Sculpting in both a guided environment from direct observation of a life model, as well as learning how to work self directed without a model, you will spend a five weeks fully immersed in the sculpting process. Starting with building an armature using a provided steel back iron, an approach to figure work that will be strong yet flexible, with room for interpretation, will be taught. As well as developing technical skills of measurements, plumbing, anatomy and clay application, students will hone their creative skills, develop an understanding of sculptural texture and forms, and learn how to capture the model’s unique expression to create a piece of art. To apply for this course, please send an email with a few images of your figurative sculpture work to email@example.com or contact the Art Academy team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Andy PankhurstFrom: £395.00Course CodeSC1904150TutorAndy PankhurstCourse DatesMonday - Friday, 3rd August - 7th August 2020Days5Times10.00am – 4.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£395LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRFor some artists the portrait can be about purely formal aspects, with no relevance places on the character of the sitter. Under the tuition of Andy Pankhurst you will be encouraged to explore and discover what you personally want to "paint about", working from a model throughout the week. Starting with preliminary drawings on day one you will be introduced to the concepts of measurement and proportion, form, tone, space, composition and pictorial structure. The focus will then be on producing a colour oil sketch from the portrait model with a particular emphasis on colour and temperature. The final three days of the course will be spent on a large-scale portrait painting of a sustained pose. This exciting course is an intensive five days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Robin Lee HallFrom: £395.00Course CodeSC1904250TutorRobin-Lee HallCourse DatesMonday - Friday, 17th August - 21st August 2020Days5Times10.00am – 4.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£395LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis five-day portrait painting course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Robin-Lee Hall. The course offers a high level of tutor contact time with Robin, giving demonstrations, individual guidance, feedback and advice. The course aims to stimulate, refresh and advance each students practice on an individual basis. Your experienced tutor will support you throughout the course in both group sessions and one-to-one support providing daily feedback, critique and constructive advice. Each course ends in a final round up session and should you wish for any specific feedback or support, please speak with your tutor at the start of your course. By the end of this course you will develop your knowledge of structure, tone, colour and composition. You will complete one portrait painting and a number of shorter oil sketches and drawings.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Sam DalbyFrom: £365.00Course CodeSC1904350TutorSam Dalby RPCourse DatesMonday - Friday, 13th July - 17th July 2020Days5Times10.00am – 4.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£365LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis five day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Sam Dalby. The class has the benefit of 1:6 model to student ratio, as well as tuition from a talented professional artist. Starting with a preliminary drawing in line on day one and moving onto a tonal preliminary drawing on day two, the focus will then be on producing oil sketches on the third day, while on the final two days it is all about completing a finished painting. Under Sam’s guidance, you will learn how to complete a portrait from a ‘cold’ start in the life drawing room, through the imaginative and practical stages of construction, to the final execution . This exciting course is an intensive five days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Tim BensonFrom: £315.00Course CodeSC1904050TutorTim BensonCourse DatesMonday - Wednesday, 10th August - 12th August 2020Days3Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£315LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis three-day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Tim Benson. The class has the benefit of 1:6 model to student ratio, as well as tuition from a talented professional artist. Students will produce at least four oil sketches on the first day and at least one more 'finished' painting by the final day. Under Tim’s guidance, students will concentrate on tonal painting allowing the emphasis to be on the form. During the course of the painting there will be an in-depth look at how to mix up colours. The tutor will also be working alongside the students demonstrating a 'wet in wet' technique. This exciting course is an intensive three days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.MORE INFO
- Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with David Klein£375.00Course CodeSC1904053TutorDavid KleinCourse DatesMonday - Friday, 27th July - 31st July 2020Days5Times10.00am – 4.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£375LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRPortrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This course aims to build upon your previous experience [Intermediate/Advanced] to further how to observe and translate your observation into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your tutor, David Klein, member of the Royal British Society of Sculptors (MRBS) and the Society of Portrait Sculptors (SPS). Whether setting out a portrait head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach, you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural experience. David Klein hopes to impart a few of the tools he has learnt and explore on this course that wonderful tension between finely rendered form and unworked chaos. Portraiture is a search. This search for form, truth and personality requires tools. From the force of the neck into the weight of the head, which in so many ways defines and marks exceptional sculpture. This course will explore the structure, turning points of form, emphasis and simplification.MORE INFO
Art Academy Moodle
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
Mermaid Court: +44 (0) 20 7407 6969
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
OFFICE OPENING HOURS
Monday – Friday
9.00am – 5.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm