Easter and Summer holidays are ideal times to consider joining us at the Art Academy. For short courses lasting four to five days, we open our studios for disciplines including: Painting, Drawing, Sculpture and Stone Carving. From introductory courses for the beginner, to masterclasses for the more experienced, our courses are taught by specialists in their fields.
Class numbers are kept to a maximum of 15, so that the tutor has plenty of time to give individual attention to each student.
We also run a Young Artists’ course for teenagers interested in or are thinking about applying to art school. Aimed at young people doing GCSE art, the course is an ideal art school ‘taster’, a ‘no risk’ way for students to get a feel for what it might be like on a Foundation course.
Material packs can be purchased with some of our courses. Please check the details of the individual class. You can also buy an Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting or Drawing Pack individually on our Materials Page.
Please note, our courses are only suitable and available for students 18 years old and above. We have a variety of courses specifically designed for under 18’s as part of our Young Artists programme.
SPECIAL OFFER: Get 20% off print courses when you enter the code EASTER2019 at the checkout.
Progressive discounts are available for booking two or more courses:
2 courses: 5% discount
3 courses: 10% discount
4 or more courses: 15% discount
If you are planning to book more than one course, please contact us directly to arrange the discounted booking.
call: 020 7701 2880
- Capturing Light Painting MasterclassFrom: £320.00Course CodeSC2003150TutorEigil NordstrømCourse DatesMonday - Thursday, 29th March - 1st April 2021Days4Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£320LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThroughout history artists have sought to capture light in their paintings. In this exciting new Masterclass with Norwegian painter Eigil Nordstrøm, you will learn how to create luminosity in your own work. Starting from the basics of understanding and mastering the tonal range, we will explore concepts such as directional lighting and shadows, hard and soft edges, light in the landscape, and light as a driver in narrative figure painting. Working from a range of subject matters, the ideas and techniques introduced in this course will apply to any painter, abstract or figurative.MORE INFO
- Kim WhitbyDevelop Your Watercolour Skills – Loose and Tight Working£280.00Course CodeSC2003250TutorKim WhitbyCourse DatesMonday - Wednesday, 29th - 31st March 2021Days3Times10.15am - 4.15pmExperience LevelBeginner+Fee£280LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis watercolour course is suitable for both complete beginners as well those who want to further develop their understanding of the watercolour medium and progress with their knowledge of its properties. During the course you will practically explore and practice number of skills including controlling tight details in watercolour, working using varied amounts of water, mark-making, lifting colour, representing textures and adding/ removing paint to create texture. These explorations will be based on first hand observations of real items, patterned surfaces, varied textures and surface finishes. On the final day you will have time for a longer more finished painting which combines the course aims; both looser and more tightly painted areas. It will focus on planning the sequenced execution of this (and subsequent) work in watercolour. The final watercolour may take the form of an observed still life, or personally devised project by the student. This course is suitable for beginners, although having followed an introductory day to watercolour or short course, would be beneficial as we will not have time to focus on every aspect of this complex medium. Some prior knowledge of drawing or understanding of very basic colour theory would be helpful.MORE INFO
- Introduction to Oil PaintingFrom: £270.00Course CodeSC2003037TutorNicholas McLeodCourse DatesTuesday - Friday, 6th - 9th April 2021Days4Times10.15am - 4.15pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£270LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRA well-structured and systematic course for those who have never painted before or want to start from the beginning. Students learn to see colour, shape and tone and relate all these elements together through composition. This course aims to foster self-confidence and enjoyment of painting in a stimulating community environment. There will be work from both still-life and life models. Students will learn how to handle oil paint and understand different ways of approaching painting. Throughout the course students will learn from works of many artists to improve their development. There is plenty of guidance from the tutor and the course is fun and relaxing.MORE INFO
- One Day Taster: Drawing – 10th April£105.00Course CodeTAS2003T02TutorBeñat OlaberriaCourse DatesSaturday, 10th April 2021Days1Times10.00am – 4.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£105LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis is a fun, day-long taster course in drawing for those who may be considering a longer evening or daytime course and are wondering how much they will enjoy it. Throughout the day the tutor will lead the class in practical demonstrations to help you begin to see shape and tone, and how these elements can relate together to form a composition. We aim to foster self-certainty and an enjoyment of drawing in a relaxed yet stimulating environment. As you work through a series of exercises, you will gain confidence with pencil and charcoal, which will encourage you to further explore the medium.MORE INFO
- One Day Taster: Sculpture – 10th April£105.00Course CodeTAS2003T03TutorJessica WetherlyCourse DatesSaturday, 10th April 2021Days1Times10.15am - 4.15pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£105LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis is a fun, day-long taster course in sculpting with clay and plaster for those who may be considering a longer evening or daytime course and want to try it out first. Spend the morning with the joy of clay to create a small figure sculpture from a life model. In the afternoon mix plaster and other media to make your own creative sculpture. No need to worry if you have nothing in mind. This is a great opportunity to combine these two basic sculpture skills and techniques. There will be the option to leave your clay sculpture for hollowing and firing for an additional fee and you are welcome to take home your plaster piece. Throughout the day the tutor will lead the class in practical demonstrations to help you get a feel for the medium and the way it can be manipulated into shape and form. We aim to foster self-certainty and an enjoyment of sculpting in a relaxed yet stimulating environment.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Tim BensonFrom: £300.00Course CodeSC2003050TutorTim BensonCourse DatesWednesday - Friday, 7th - 9th April 2021Days3Times10.15am - 4.15pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£300LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis three-day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Tim Benson. The class has the benefit of tuition from a talented professional artist. Students will produce at least four oil sketches on the first day and at least one more 'finished' painting by the final day. Under Tim’s guidance, students will concentrate on tonal painting allowing the emphasis to be on the form. During the course of the painting there will be an in-depth look at how to mix up colours. The tutor will also be working alongside the students demonstrating a 'wet in wet' technique. This exciting course is an intensive three days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.MORE INFO
- Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with Valentina Zlatarova£365.00Course CodeSC2003053TutorValentina ZlatarovaCourse DatesMonday - Thursday, 29th March -1st April 2021Days4Times10.00am – 4.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£365LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRPortrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This course aims to build upon your previous experience [Intermediate/Advanced] to further how to observe and translate your observation into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your experienced tutor, Valentina Zlatarova, trained at the Florence Academy of Art, Italy. Whether setting out a head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach, you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural expression.MORE INFO
- Young Artists: Experimentation with Drawing, Painting and Mixed Media£260.00Course CodeSC2003119Course DatesTuesday - Friday, 6th - 9th April 2021TutorLynne AbrahamsonDays4Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelAges 12-14, All LevelsFee£260LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRIn this interesting new course, you will experiment with a range of materials that you may not be familiar with, including different paints, textiles, plaster casting and mixed-media. The course aims to help you develop a new range of skills and expand your artistic vocabulary, and culminates in a personal project on the final day where you can translate your ideas and interests into a finished artwork using the techniques and media you have learned about. There will be time for one-to-one guidance and input from the tutor on days 3 and 4, to further help and encourage you to develop your own ideas and artistic projects.MORE INFO
- Young Artists: Manga Illustration£270.00Course CodeSC2003023TutorChie KutsuwadaCourse DatesTuesday - Friday, 6th - 9th April 2021Days4Times10.00am – 4.00pmExperience LevelAges 12-16, All LevelsFee£270LocationArt Academy London, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThrough this course students will learn all basic knowledge and techniques to complete their manga comic strip. The course focuses on the uniqueness on manga style, such as how to make pages look exciting and attractive within the limitation of monochrome and how to express the character's emotions effectively. At the same time, it includes the very important basic skills like figure drawing. The students are encouraged to use traditional approach to 'draw and plan' pages and to finalise their work in digital form. The aim of the course is to make sure that all the students feel more confident creating manga illustrations and to complete at least two pages of manga style art.MORE INFO
Art Academy Moodle
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
Mermaid Court: +44 (0) 20 7407 6969
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
OFFICE OPENING HOURS
Monday – Friday
9.00am – 5.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm