Easter and Summer holidays are ideal times to consider joining us at the Art Academy. For short courses lasting four to five days, we open our studios for disciplines including: Painting, Drawing, Sculpture and Stone Carving. From introductory courses for the beginner, to masterclasses for the more experienced, our courses are taught by specialists in their fields.
Class numbers are kept to a maximum of 15, so that the tutor has plenty of time to give individual attention to each student.
We also run a Young Artists’ course for teenagers interested in or are thinking about applying to art school. Aimed at young people doing GCSE art, the course is an ideal art school ‘taster’, a ‘no risk’ way for students to get a feel for what it might be like on a Foundation course.
Material packs can be purchased with some of our courses. Please check the details of the individual class. You can also buy an Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting or Drawing Pack individually on our Materials Page.
Please note, our courses are only suitable and available for students 18 years old and above. We have a variety of courses specifically designed for under 18’s as part of our Young Artists programme.
SPECIAL OFFER: Get 20% off print courses when you enter the code EASTER2019 at the checkout.
Progressive discounts are available for booking two or more courses:
2 courses: 5% discount
3 courses: 10% discount
4 or more courses: 15% discount
If you are planning to book more than one course, please contact us directly to arrange the discounted booking.
call: 020 7701 2880
- Drawing and Painting for BeginnersFrom: £315.00Course CodeSC1903031TutorLucy SmallboneDatesMonday - Friday, 30th March - 3rd April 2020Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£315LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis is a structured opportunity to gain fundamental drawing and painting skills, whilst blurring the boundary between drawing and painting by using both wet and dry materials together. Throughout the week, students will be using a limited pallet keeping the focus on tonal painting. By looking at still life, interior/exterior and portrait, students explore various ways of seeing, increasing their understanding and confidence to draw and paint. Topics include linear drawing, tonal drawing, composition, sketching outdoors, expressive drawing/painting, study of natural forms and portrait painting. A fun and intensive course that will leave students with the knowledge and inspiration to start their own artworks.MORE INFO
- Drawing for AllFrom: £305.00Course CodeSC1803009TutorFrancesca CorraDatesMonday - Friday, 30th March - 3rd April 2020Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£305LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRA wonderful opportunity for people with all levels of experience to explore the skills of drawing and life drawing. Throughout the course you will work to a variety of themes to learn fundamental drawing skills, including composition, tonal drawing, measurement and movement. Once mastered students are encouraged to develop a creative approach interjected with urban sketching, exploration of different lines, contrasts, compositions, materials and techniques. This is a structured informative, yet fun and stimulating, course that teaches essential drawing skills whilst encouraging a creative approach.MORE INFO
- Etching Workshop with Frederic Morris£215.00Course CodeSC1903PR03TutorFrederic MorrisDatesFriday - Sunday, 17th - 19th April 2020Days3Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£215LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis course is designed to give a broad yet intensive introduction to etching in all its shades of grey. You will develop a composition through line, texture and tone by etching a zinc plate in a mordant of saline sulphate. This 3 day workshop concentrates on hard-ground (fine line) and soft ground combined with aquatint (tone) in its various forms. The course is flexible in its composition allowing attendees to work at their own speed within the medium. Students may also work on their own individual etching projects.MORE INFO
- Expand your portfolio – Textiles in Contemporary Art£255.00Course CodeSC1902025TutorLynne AbrahamsonDatesMonday - Thursday, 17th February - 20 February 2020Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAges 16 - 18Fee£255LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis course will introduce GCSE and A-level students to the use of embroidery and latex in contemporary art. The aim is to help you to expand your artistic vocabulary, develop your portfolio and experiment with media that you may not be very familiar with. Each day will begin with an introduction to artists who use textiles in their work, to contextualise the lessons and help inspire you. In the morning, you will be taught different techniques, which you will then apply to a project (either your own idea or suggested by the tutor) in the afternoon.MORE INFO
- Introduction to Bookbinding with Carol Wilhide-Justin£165.00Course CodeSC1903PR78TutorCarol Wilhide JustinDatesMondays, 30th March & 6th April 2020Days2Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£165LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis course will be split between making prints in the Print Studio using relief printmaking techniques- linocut, woodcut and using those prints to make concertina or leporello books, single section and stab bound books. There will also be an opportunity to bind collections of existing prints into a book format. The class will be taught by Carol Wilhide-Justin who is a graduate of the RCA and an experienced printmaker specialising in Japanese Woodcut and who uses bookbinding in her artistic and teaching practice.MORE INFO
- Introduction to Oil PaintingFrom: £255.00Course CodeSC1903037TutorNicholas McLeodDatesMonday - Thursday, 6th April - 9th April 2020Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£255LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRA well-structured and systematic course for those who have never painted before or want to start from the beginning. Students learn to see colour, shape and tone and relate all these elements together through composition. This course aims to foster self-confidence and enjoyment of painting in a stimulating community environment. There will be work from both still-life and life models. Students will learn how to handle oil paint and understand different ways of approaching painting. Throughout the course students will learn from works of many artists to improve their development. There is plenty of guidance from the tutor and the course is fun and relaxing.MORE INFO
- One Day Taster: Sculpture – 4th April£90.00Course CodeTAS1903T03TutorAnthony WatersDatesSaturday, 4th April 2020Days1Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£90LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis is a fun, day-long taster course in sculpting with clay and plaster for those who may be considering a longer evening or daytime course and want to try it out first. Spend the morning with the joy of clay to create a small figure sculpture from a life model. In the afternoon mix plaster and other media to make your own creative sculpture. No need to worry if you have nothing in mind. This is a great opportunity to combine these two basic sculpture skills and techniques. There will be the option to leave your clay sculpture for hollowing and firing for an additional fee and you are welcome to take home your plaster piece. Throughout the day the tutor will lead the class in practical demonstrations to help you get a feel for the medium and the way it can be manipulated into shape and form. We aim to foster self-certainty and an enjoyment of sculpting in a relaxed yet stimulating environment.MORE INFO
- Kim WhitbyOne Day Taster: Watercolour – 28th March£90.00Course CodeTAS1903T05TutorKim WhitbyDatesSaturday, 28th March 2020Days1Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelBeginnerFee£90LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis is a fun day-long taster course in watercolour painting for those who may be considering a longer course and are wondering how much they will enjoy it. Throughout the day the tutor will lead the class in hands-on, practical demonstrations to show you how to mix colour and see shape and tone, and how these elements relate to form a composition. We aim to foster self-certainty and an enjoyment of painting in a relaxed yet stimulating environment. The morning will be spent focusing on how to handle watercolour paint whilst working from a still-life set up using natural and organic forms. Throughout the day you will be encouraged to play and enjoy the application of paint whist also understanding techniques of working from observation.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Alex FowlerFrom: £320.00Course CodeSC1903250TutorAlex FowlerDatesMonday - Friday, 6th April - 9th April 2020Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£320LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis four-day Portrait Painting Masterclass with Alex Fowler offers a fantastic opportunity for intensive study from a life model under the expert tutelage of Alex Fowler. The course has been designed to guide you through the process of painting a portrait while taking into consideration how to paint realistic colour and to convey likeness: the right colour in the right place - a critical point in painting the visible world. You will also be encouraged to work intuitively and expressively in tandem with an emphasis on accuracy of observation. Students will receive one-to-one guidance throughout the course and Alex will be on hand to give regular feedback and constructive advice. He will also be demonstrating and painting alongside the students. What topics will you cover? Painting and drawing accurately to capture realistic likeness. Colour mixing; exploring a subtle use of tonal values in paint.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Sam DalbyFrom: £365.00Course CodeSC1903150TutorSam Dalby RPDatesMonday - Friday, 30th March - 3rd April 2020Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£365LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis five day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Sam Dalby. The course will allow students the freedom to work from two models, both a male and female. Starting with preliminary drawing in line on day one and and moving onto a tonal preliminary drawing on day two. The focus will then be on producing oil sketches on the third day then on the final two days it is all about completing a finished painting of the chosen model. Under Sam’s guidance, you will learn how to complete a portrait from a ‘cold’ start in the life drawing room, through the imaginative and practical stages of construction, to the final execution . This exciting course is an intensive five days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.MORE INFO
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Tim BensonFrom: £300.00Course CodeSC1903050TutorTim BensonDatesMonday - Wednesday, 6th April - 8th April 2019Days3Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£300LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis three-day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Tim Benson. The course will allow students the freedom to work from two models each day, one male and one female. Students will produce at least four oil sketches on the first day and at least one more 'finished' painting by the final day. Under Tim’s guidance, students will concentrate on tonal painting allowing the emphasis to be on the form. During the course of the painting there will be an in-depth look at how to mix up colours. The tutor will also be working alongside the students demonstrating a 'wet in wet' technique. This exciting course is an intensive three days that offers a high level of tutor contact time.MORE INFO
- Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with Valentina Zlatarova£365.00Course CodeSC1903053TutorValentina ZlatarovaDatesMonday - Friday, 30th March - 3rd April 2020Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAdvancedFee£365LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRPortrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This course aims to build upon your previous experience [Intermediate/Advanced] to further how to observe and translate your observation into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your experienced tutor, Valentina Zlatarova, trained at the Florence Academy of Art, Italy. Whether setting out a head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach, you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural expression.MORE INFO
- Relief Printing with Temsüyanger Longkumer£265.00Course CodeSC1903PR04TutorTemsuyanger LongkumerDatesTuesday - Friday, 31st March - 3rd April 2020Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£265LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis course is ideal for beginners or for those wanting a refresher course. In the first half of the week you will learn to work with traditional Japanese tools and to cut and print a linoleum plate in a mechanical press. In the second half of the week you will learn a different technique using woodblocks and colour separations to cut two different blocks to create your double-plate prints.MORE INFO
- Young Artists£315.00Course CodeSC1903019TutorTBCDatesMonday - Friday, 30th March - 3rd April 2020Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAges 12-16Fee£315LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRYoung Artists is an exciting five day course for ages 12-16 providing high level art tuition, including drawing workshops, contemporary painting, specialist sculpture techniques, and using experimental media. Focused classes create a supportive environment, and there is a strong focus on personal outcomes and solutions to develop independent judgement. Access to specialist materials and facilities improve technical skills, and discussion and presentation sessions build confidence and critical understanding. This course is ideal for those studying a range of arts based GCSE subjects, or wanting to advance their artistic skills and creative confidence.MORE INFO
- Young Artists£255.00Course CodeSC1903119TutorTBCDatesMonday - Thursday, 6th April - 9th April 2020Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAges 12-16, All LevelsFee£255LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRYoung Artists is an exciting four day course for ages 12-16 providing high level art tuition, including drawing workshops, contemporary painting, specialist sculpture techniques, and using experimental media. Focused classes create a supportive environment, and there is a strong focus on personal outcomes and solutions to develop independent judgement. Access to specialist materials and facilities improve technical skills, and discussion and presentation sessions build confidence and critical understanding. This course is ideal for those studying a range of arts based GCSE subjects, or wanting to advance their artistic skills and creative confidence.MORE INFO
- Young Artists: Animation Challenge£255.00Course CodeSC1903022TutorEmma SeachDatesMonday - Thursday, 6th April - 9th April 2020Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAges 12-16, All LevelsFee£255LocationThe Art Academy, 165A Mermaid Court, SE1 1HRThis fun four-day course for students aged 12-16 provides a skills-based experience and expert tuition in animation. Students will be taught skills in stop motion, 2D drawing and the use of Adobe Creative Suite as an animation tool. The days will be themed and split in half; the mornings will focus on skills development and the afternoons will focus on creating an animation using the skills learnt. Students will be encouraged to work in groups and independently while challenging or responding to ideas and new skills in an enjoyable and creative space.MORE INFO
Art Academy Moodle
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
Mermaid Court: +44 (0) 20 7407 6969
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
Newington: +44 (0) 20 7701 2880
OFFICE OPENING HOURS
Monday – Friday
9.00am – 5.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm