Easter and Summer holidays are ideal times to consider joining us at the Art Academy. For short courses lasting four to five days, we open our studios for disciplines including: Painting, Drawing, Sculpture and Stone Carving. From introductory courses for the beginner, to masterclasses for the more experienced, our courses are taught by specialists in their fields.
Class numbers are kept to a maximum of 15, so that the tutor has plenty of time to give individual attention to each student.
We also run a Young Artists’ course for teenagers interested in or are thinking about applying to art school. Aimed at young people doing GCSE art, the course is an ideal art school ‘taster’, a ‘no risk’ way for students to get a feel for what it might be like on a Foundation course.
Material packs can be purchased with some of our courses. Please check the details of the individual class. You can also buy an Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting or Drawing Pack individually on our Materials Page.
Please note, our courses are only suitable and available for students 18 years old and above. If you are 17 and keen to apply to a particular adult course, please ring the office and in some instances we may be able to accommodate you. We also have variety of courses specifically designed for under 18’s as part of our Young Artists programme.
- Creative Mix£310.00Course CodeSC1703030TutorVariousDatesMonday – Friday, 9th – 13th April 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£310The Creative Mix is an ideal way to explore a variety of artistic methods. Over the five days, students will work through various exercises in drawing, painting, sculpture and printmaking. This is a great ‘taster’ course and an excellent opportunity to both develop skills and get creative with your own ideas.BOOK COURSE
- Drawing for AllFrom: £250.00Course CodeSC1703009TutorFrancesca CorraDatesTuesday – Friday, 3rd – 6th April 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£250A wonderful opportunity for people with all levels of experience to explore the skills of drawing and life drawing. Throughout the course you will work to a variety of themes to learn fundamental drawing skills, including composition, tonal drawing, measurement and movement. Once mastered students are encouraged to develop a creative approach interjected with urban sketching, exploration of different lines, contrasts, compositions, materials and techniques. This is a structured informative, yet fun and stimulating, course that teaches essential drawing skills whilst encouraging a creative approach.BOOK COURSE
- Drawing TasterFrom: £85.00Course CodeSC1703T02TutorGail Seres-WoolfsonDatesTuesday, 10th April 2018Days1Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£85This is a fun, day-long taster course in drawing for those who may be considering a longer evening or daytime course and are wondering how much they will enjoy it. Throughout the day the tutor will lead the class in practical demonstrations to help you begin to see shape and tone, and how these elements can relate together to form a composition. We aim to foster self-certainty and an enjoyment of drawing in a relaxed yet stimulating environment. As you work through a series of exercises, you will gain confidence with pencil and charcoal, which will encourage you to further explore the medium.BOOK COURSE
- Figure Painting Masterclass with Sarah Jane MoonFrom: £360.00Course CodeSC1703251TutorSarah Jane MoonDatesMonday – Friday, 9th – 13th April 2018Days5Times10.00am - 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£360This figure painting course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Sarah Jane Moon. The course will include opportunies to visually think through composition, colour and tone in a graphic and bold way through drawing and painting from the model. A day will be spent drawing and studying tone in anticipation of three days creating a dynamic and fully realised figure painting. Over an intense five day period, students will work towards creative exciting and emotionally engaged work that has both accuracy and expression. The course is designed to give students the practical skills and grounding in technique to paint with confidence and unique style. It will further develop skills in painting a good portrait likeness whilst also enabling an increased understanding of what it means to make a compelling painting with narrative and compositional intrigue. Students will receive regular one-to-one guidance throughout the course.BOOK COURSE
- Introduction to Oil PaintingFrom: £250.00Course CodeSC1703037TutorNicholas McLeodDatesTuesday – Friday, 3rd – 6th April 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£250A well-structured and systematic course for those who have never painted before or want to start from the beginning. Students learn to see colour, shape and tone and relate all these elements together through composition. This course aims to foster self-confidence and enjoyment of painting in a stimulating community environment. There will be work from both still-life and life models. Students will learn how to handle oil paint and understand different ways of approaching painting. Throughout the course students will learn from works of many artists to improve their development. There is plenty of guidance from the tutor and the course is fun and relaxing.BOOK COURSE
- Introduction to Stone Carving£250.00Course CodeSC1703010TutorBobbie FennickDatesTuesday – Friday, 3rd – 6th April 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£250Primarily this is a practical course. You will gain a structured understanding of stone as a material, learn basic carving techniques and discover ways of being creative with this wonderful medium. Through practising all of these aspects, they will come together in the creation of your finished piece of work. Using your initial sketches of what you would like to carve (plan view, front view and section) to help understand the form before modelling it in clay, followed by one-to-one discussion, you will then quickly move into carving to progress your ideas into stone. Please note that there is an additional fee for initial purchase of stone, varying depending on the type of stone you wish to use. Art Academy staff are able to advise ahead of booking. You will also be required to wear steel toe-capped boots (safety boots) during this class.BOOK COURSE
- Introduction to Wood Carving£310.00Course CodeSC1703011TutorBelinda EdwardsDatesMonday – Friday, 9th – 13th April 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£310Wood is one of the most natural and alive of materials. Due to the grains and textures of various woods there is an unique dimension of surprise and creativity from the material itself. Wood carving opens the way to explore many other kinds of carving. This course will take you through all the basic principles of wood carving enabling you to carve a sculpture in wood. Creative possibilities and methods relating to this unique medium will also be introduced for you to incorporate and explore in your final sculpture.BOOK COURSE
- Oil Painting TasterFrom: £85.00Course CodeSC1703T01TutorRhiannon SalisburyDatesMonday, 9th April 2018Days1Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£85This is a fun day-long taster course in oil painting for those who may be considering a longer evening or daytime course and are wondering how much they will enjoy it. Throughout the day the tutor will lead the class in hands-on, practical demonstrations to show you how to mix colour and see shape and tone, and how these elements relate to form a composition. We aim to foster self-certainty and an enjoyment of painting in a relaxed yet stimulating environment. You will make at least two paintings in the day, the morning will be spent focusing on how to handle oil paint whilst working with a limited tonal palette. Students will be have the opportunity to paint from the life model, exploring expressive mark making describing the tone and volume of the figure. During the afternoon you will start you use colour, working from a still-life set up using natural and organic forms. Throughout the day you will be encouraged to play and enjoy the application of paint whist also understanding techniques of working from observation.BOOK COURSE
- Painting the Nude Masterclass with Andy PankhurstFrom: £280.00Course CodeSC1703151TutorAndy PankhurstDatesTuesday – Friday, 3rd – 6th April 2018Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£280‘Painting is not the slavish copying of an object but the grasping of a harmony between several interactions…a powerful organizing mind is the best aid to sensation in the realization of a work of art’. Paul Cezanne’s statement evokes the creative spirit and philosophy of this four day life painting course offering an opportunity to allow students the freedom to work from a sustained nude model pose enabling intense and sustained perceptual concentration while under the tuition of Andy Pankhurst. Starting with preliminary drawings on day one you will be introduced to concepts of: measurement and proportion, form, tone, composition and pictorial structure. The focus will then be on producing small scale colour oil sketches with a particular emphasis on ‘temperature of colour’, with the final two days working on a larger scale painting from the model. Under Andy’s guidance you will learn how to complete a nude painting from a ‘cold’ start in the life drawing room through both the imaginative response and practical stages of construction to the final execution. This exciting course is an intensive four days that offers a high level of tutor contact time. Andy Pankhurst studied and continues to teach life drawing at the Slade School of Fine Art. He is a figurative painter with work represented in various public, corporate and private collections and museums in the UK and USA. Andy exhibits with Browse & Darby in London, with his most recent show of paintings and drawings in November 2014. He is the co-author with Lucinda Hawksley of "What Makes Great Art", published 2012 by Apple Press.BOOK COURSE
- Photopolymer Etching£280.00Course CodeSC1703PR08TutorSue CorkeDatesTuesday – Friday, 3rd – 6th April 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£280During this four day course, you will be introduced to an innovative photographic printmaking technique. You will be exposing hand-drawn and digitally generated positives to photosensitive plates. You will develop a series of photopolymer etching plates throughout the week, guided by one-to-one tutoring from Sue Corke, our Head of Printmaking. These specialist intaglio prints are capable of exhibiting rich velvet tones within a wide and continuous range, sensitive to the original expression of the artist. The studio is a low-toxic environment with dedicated printmaking facilities for professional hands-on learning. There is a maximum of eight students per course, materials are included and we advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.BOOK COURSE
- Portrait Painting Masterclass with Sam DalbyFrom: £280.00Course CodeSC1703250TutorSam Dalby RPDatesTuesday – Friday, 3rd – 6th April 2018Days4Times10.00am - 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£280This four day portrait course will offer an opportunity for intensive study under the tuition of Sam Dalby. The course will allow students the freedom to work from two models, both a male and female. Starting with preliminary drawing in line on day one and and moving onto a tonal preliminary drawing on day two. The focus will then be on producing oil sketches on the third day then on the final two days it is all about completing a finished painting of the chosen model. Under Sam’s guidance, you will learn how to complete a portrait from a ‘cold’ start in the life drawing room, through the imaginative and practical stages of construction, to the final execution . This exciting course is an intensive four days that offers a high level of tutor contact time. Educated at Harrogate College of Arts and Technology and Cleveland College of Art and Design from 1993-1997, Sam Dalby is a portrait painter with an established and growing reputation. He has been a member of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters since 2013. Sam is an experienced life drawing and portrait painting tutor who recognises the importance of a strong drawing technique, and how it can strengthen any artistic practice.BOOK COURSE
- Portrait Sculpture Masterclass with David Klein£360.00Course CodeSC1703053TutorDavid KleinDatesMonday – Friday, 9th – 13th April 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelIntermediate/AdvancedFee£360Portrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This course aims to build upon your previous experience [Intermediate/Advanced] to further how to observe and translate your observation into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your tutor, David Klein, member of the Royal British Society of Sculptors (MRBS) and the Society of Portrait Sculptors (SPS). Whether setting out a portrait head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach, you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural experience. David Klein hopes to impart a few of the tools he has learnt and explore on this course that wonderful tension between finely rendered form and unworked chaos. Portraiture is a search. This search for form, truth and personality requires tools. From the force of the neck into the weight of the head, which in so many ways defines and marks exceptional sculpture. This course will explore the structure, turning points of form, emphasis and simplification.BOOK COURSE
- Printmaking Introduction£310.00Course CodeSC1703PR03TutorVictoria BrowneDatesMonday – Friday, 9th – 13th April 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£310This course is ideal for beginners, repeat attendees or visitors to London, to offer an in-depth introduction to relief and intaglio printmaking. For the first two days, you will learn to work with Japanese wood carving tools to create a series of multi-colour reduction relief prints on linoleum. Mid-week the group will visit a major London art exhibition before returning to etch a zinc plate in a mordant of saline sulphate. You will learn to combine both a hard-ground line and aquatint tone to create a series of black and white etchings. Guided by one to one tutoring from Victoria Browne, students will expand their knowledge to realise a portfolio of prints. The studio is a low-toxic environment with dedicated printmaking facilities for professional hands-on learning. There is a maximum of eight students per course, materials are included and we advise that you book early to avoid disappointment.BOOK COURSE
- Sculpture Taster£85.00Course CodeSC1703T03TutorJessica WetherlyDatesWednesday, 11th April 2018Days1Times10.30am – 4.30pmExperience LevelAll LevelsFee£85This 2-day course is an exciting introduction for beginners, as well as for those with some previous experience, to gain or develop basic sculpture skills. Working mainly in clay and plaster and some other mixed media, you will learn a range of techniques with the opportunity to explore your own creative project. The combination of clay and plaster opens up creative possibilities and offers a fun weekend at your own pace. You will spend the first day creating a small clay figure sculpture from a life model. On the second day you will develop creative sculpture using plaster and mixed media no need to worry if you have nothing in mind until you arrive for the course. This is a great opportunity to discover, or return to, making 3-dimensional work and develop an individual approach. There will be the option to leave your finished sculpture for hollowing and firing for an additional fee.BOOK COURSE
- Young Artists£250.00Course CodeSC1703019TutorVariousDatesTuesday – Friday, 3rd – 6th April 2018Days4Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAges 12-14Fee£250This Young Artists’ Easter course is an exciting four days providing high level art tuition, including drawing workshops, contemporary painting, specialist sculpture techniques, and using experimental media. Focused classes create a supportive environment, and there is a strong focus on personal outcomes and solutions to develop independent judgement. Access to specialist materials and facilities improve technical skills, and discussion and presentation sessions build confidence and critical understanding. This course is ideal for those studying or considering a range of arts based GCSE subjects, or wanting to advance their artistic skills and creative confidence.BOOK COURSE
- Young Artists£310.00Course CodeSC1703119TutorVariousDatesMonday – Friday, 9th – 13th April 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAges 12-14Fee£310Young Artists is an exciting five day course for ages 12-14 providing high level art tuition, including drawing workshops, contemporary painting, specialist sculpture techniques, and using experimental media. Focused classes create a supportive environment, and there is a strong focus on personal outcomes and solutions to develop independent judgement. Access to specialist materials and facilities improve technical skills, and discussion and presentation sessions build confidence and critical understanding. This course is ideal for those studying a range of arts based GCSE subjects, or wanting to advance their artistic skills and creative confidence.BOOK COURSE
- Young Artists: Fine Art Workshop£310.00Course CodeSC1703020DatesMonday – Friday, 9th – 13th April 2018Days5Times10.00am – 5.00pmExperience LevelAges 15-17Fee£310An inspiring five day course for ages 15-17 providing a skills-based experience and expert tuition in a range of materials and techniques. The programme is taught by specialist tutors who are also professional, practicing artists. Access to portrait models and contemporary painting and sculpture techniques provides a unique opportunity to develop new skills. Students develop their painting style encompassing portraiture and mixed media abstraction, along with a day exploring kinetic sculpture. This is an ideal course for those studying arts subjects who wish to develop course work, create new work for their portfolio, develop new techniques and skills, and further existing abilities in a professional art school environment.BOOK COURSE
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
165A Borough High Street
London SE1 1HR
Mermaid Court: +44 (0) 20 7407 6969
Newington: +44 (0)207 701 2880
Newington: +44 (0)207 701 2880
OFFICE OPENING HOURS
Monday – Friday
9.00am – 5.00pm
9.00am – 5.00pm