Portrait sculpture is an immensely absorbing and enjoyable discovery with every new sitter. This course aims to build upon your previous experience [Intermediate/Advanced] to further how to observe and translate your observation into a clay portrait sculpture from a life model. Refresh, renew or find alternative ways of looking through group and individual discussion with your experienced tutor, Valentina Zlatarova, trained at the Florence Academy of Art, Italy. Whether setting out a head from a structural point of view with a clear path of constructive method and/or searching for a more expressive manner of approach, you will benefit from exploring with a professional sculptor to help build upon your own sculptural expression.
Valentina’s approach to this course will be to focus on an observational approach to sculpting from life, informed by academic practice, and will encourage the student to develop a highly personal and considered response to the human form. Students will be invited to address the exciting challenges in representing the character of the sitter and encouraged to discover artistic solutions to making a resolved portrait.
During the course you will cover
- Capturing a likeness
- Taking measurements
By the end of this course you will:
- Appreciate the complexity of the head in terms of form and features
- Understand how to examine the head from all angles
- Use drawing to assist the sculptural process, particularly drawing the profile of the head
- Use an armature (bust-peg)
- Use a basic measurement system to set up the form of the head
- Build up a life-size portrait head in clay using fingers as well as tools