Art Academy Print
We offer a fully equipped intaglio and relief printmaking studio in London Bridge located 5 minutes walk from Intaglio Printmakers. Our professional artist-led courses appeal to all abilities and flexible access attracts experienced printmakers.
Discover new developments in the print studio; documentation of recent courses and visiting master printmakers, plus new work from our artists. Find out more. Complete our online feedback questionnaire
We run a variety of daytime, evening and weekend courses to suit all levels of competence.
Daytime: £60 per day, 10 – 5pm
Evening: £31 per evening, 6.30 – 9.30pm
Weekend: £140 for Saturday / Sunday, 10 – 5pm
Victoria Browne is Head of Print and supported by Art Academy Print Artists. Each year we host international visiting artists Steve Edwards, Katherine Jones, Umberto Giovannini, Michael Goro and Nick Morley. For more information about our tutors click here.
Courses are facilitated in London Bridge, UK and Montefiore Conca, Italy.
Summer Courses: £70 per day, 10am – 5pm
Printmaking in Italy: £400, 10am – 5pm and includes shared accommodation
Long Weekends: £210, 10am – 5pm (Friday-Sunday)
There are four places per session available to experienced printmakers.
Tuesday: 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Saturday: 10am – 2pm / 2pm – 6pm
Price: £20 per session (includes cleaning sundries)
Who can book Open Access sessions?
- Experienced printmakers need to provide evidence of their knowledge and good studio practice.
- Novice printmakers must have completed a taster and a specialist printmaking course.
- A health and safety induction is included in the first session and the studio is supervised at all times by an experienced printmaker to offer support, advice and help with your work as and when required.
- Priority of the use of the printing press on Saturday is set up for relief in the morning and intaglio in the afternoon. However you may book on to either/or both sessions.
- Booking Open Access is easy with our online booking system. When booking a session it is helpful to send your contact details and a brief outline of work planned during your session – just click on the ‘Contact Host’ link on the Eventbrite page to send us an e mail. Online bookings are non-refundable.
Art Academy Print offers short term, flexible access to the studio.
Price: £100 per month (plus a one off £30 induction fee to the studio)
Email enquiries and arrange a visit: email@example.com
Who can book Monthly Access sessions?
- New attendees must provide evidence of previous printmaking experience and good studio practice.
- An induction to the studio includes health and safety, a tour of the facilities and an introduction to The Art Academy.
- Access to the studio is Monday to Friday (8am-6pm), unless an additional deposit fee is paid to The Art Academy for 24hr access.
- The print studio is a communal space, shared with Art Academy Print Artists and attendees are responsible for ensuring the equipment remains in a good condition.
ART ACADEMY PRINT ARTISTS
Art Academy Print offers 24hr access to the studio outside of Open Access and Courses.
Email enquiries or arrange a visit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Art Academy Print Artists supervise open access, facilitate print courses and host an annual Open Studio event. If you are an experienced printmaker, seeking weekly access to a studio throughout the year, please contact us for more information.
The studio is equipped with a Polymetaal JV80 80 x 160cm press suitable for large format intaglio and relief prints, multiple glass work surfaces, drying boards, a light box, a pegging system, an aquatint box, ferric acid for copper and saline sulphate for zinc. Prints can remain in the studio to dry and collected during office hours. There is even a sink and kettle for countless cups of tea.
Techniques in the studio
INTAGLIO : Etching with with saline solution or ferric chloride, Soft ground, Hard ground, Aquatint, Collagraph, Engraving, Drypoint.
RELIEF: Linocut, Woodcut, Wood engraving, Monoprinting
Materials available to purchase at the studio
Tissue, Newsprint, Blotting and Cartridge Paper
Somerset Velvet White and Fabriano Rosaspina Bianco Paper
Scrim (Tarlatan), Brown parcel tape, Gloves, Rags
Materials available to purchase at Intaglio Printmaker
Materials can be conveniently purchased within a 5 minute walk of The Art Academy, including tools, metal plates, inks, papers, lino and wood.
9 Playhouse Court, 62 Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1
Monday to Friday, 10-6pm, Saturday 10-4pm
Friends of Art Academy Print